When we founded the Miles City Youth Coalition we talked to a bunch of students. Want to know what they told us they do for fun? They like to goof off with their friends, often in Walmart. As a retailer, kids just having fun isn’t exactly encouraged. We want to change that.
The Miles City Youth Coalition doesn’t have a building to call home yet, but when the required funds become available, that’s our next big project. Our goal is to provide Miles City teens with a place to hang out and to hold classes and activities.
What Would It Look Like?
– A coffee shop-like atmosphere, with comfy couches and snacks
– Mentors, ready to give advice, play cards, or just hang out
– A few tech-free zones to give our youth a break from the stress and expectations that come with the smartphone culture of today
– An inexpensive café providing lunch
– A “no questions asked” pantry stocked with food and toiletries (many Miles City youth struggle with hunger and homelessness.)
Though we don’t have a physical location yet, MCYC has a vision to provide a safe and unique space the youth of Miles City can call their own.